French Toast recipe
Happy Friday kids!
This past week we celebrated my dear Baboon's (that would be Dillon's) birthday. I tend to get overly excited when people get older. Birthdays excite me. But age scares me. Go figure.
This year I thought I'd spoil Baboon. So besides the crazy gifts, I presented him breakfast of champions: French Toast a la Queen of Tarts.
If you've ever been to Queen of Tarts in Observatory, Cape Town, you know that their french toast is the shizz. I gave it my own little spin and turned out just right for Mr. Birthday Boy. You can follow my recipe here:
Ingredients (Makes 2 portions):
1 x Big dumpy loaf of any bread you like. 2 x Eggs. 2 Tbsp Cream (Double, Heavy, Whipping or Milk is fine) 1 x Tomato 6 x Rashers of bacon (Or you know...12... I won't judge) 1 x Camembert Cheese 1 x Knob of butter 1 x Handful of Strawberries 1 x Balsamic Vinegar Reduction (Or reduce balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan) Salt Pepper
- Slice your bread. Remember that it will soak up a bit of the delightful eggie mixture so be generous and make it at least 2cm thick. Trust me.
- Beat your eggs and cream in a shallow bowl, or deep plate. Something that will allow your bread slices to lie flat in the mixture. Dip both sides of the bread in the mixture and coat thoroughly.
- Heat your griddle/pan and drop in a knob of butter. Let the butter brown get gorgeous.
- Once butter is golden, drop in the egg coated bread. And leave it. Do not move it. No. Just don't.
- On the other side of your griddle, line up your bacon rashers and sliced rounds of tomato. Let these cook at the same time the toast is going.
- Check the bottom of the toast after 1 minute. If you can see a nice crust, use a spatula to flip it over. If not, patience my friend. Wait until you got a crust and then flip.
- Make sure to keep an eye on your bacon and tomato and when they're both nice and cooked through, place on kitchen towel/paper towel and pat off excess oil.
- Slice the cheese into thin circles and the strawberries into quarters.
- Once your toast is nice and crispy, lift out of pan and plate.
- The line up looks like this: Golden crispy toast. Tomato. Cheese. Bacon. Salt. Pepper. Strawberries. Second gorgeously crusted slice of toast. Drizzle of balsamic vinegar reduction.
BOOM! You have a delicious stack of breakfast. You're welcome.
TOP TIPS: *Don't let your bread sit in the eggie mixture for too long. 2- 3 seconds should do the trick. And let it toast for a comfortable while in your griddle or pan. This will ensure a nice crunchy toast texture and still have a soft bread middle instead of a puddle of goo. *Be brave. Give yourself a thick slice of Camembert cheese. It really is a taste sensation with tartness of the strawberries and tomatoes. *Get creative. Find ingredients that you love that contrast and compliment each other nicely. Make the recipe your own. *Wake your Baboon up early enough so that he has time to eat the delicious breakfast. Letting him sleep in on his birthday does him no good when its a school day.
Comment and let me know what your favourite kind of toast is.